Local Students Invited to Apply for Mat-Su Health Foundation Scholarships05-Feb-2013
Wasilla, AK— Each year Mat-Su Health Foundation (MSHF) awards scholarships to residents of the Mat-Su Borough who are interested in pursuing health-related careers. The application period for 2013 opened on Monday, Feb. 4 and continues through 4 p.m. on Monday, March 18, 2013. Applications are accepted online at www.healthymatsu.org.
The goal of MSHF’s scholarship program is to make investments in the education of Mat-Su residents to help build the healthcare workforce of the future and an engaged citizenship with a higher capacity to address the health-related challenges impacting Mat-Su and Alaska. MSHF scholarships are intended to help defray the cost of higher education and encourage Mat-Su residents to complete a degree or certificate program that emphasizes health and/or wellness. The number of scholarships given each year and the amount of each award varies; it is expected that $250,000 will be awarded in this round of scholarships.
MSHF Scholarship eligibility requirements include the following:
- United States citizenship
- Mat-Su Borough residency for minimum of one year (current to application)
- Eligible for an Alaska Permanent Dividend Fund
- Minimum half-time student status at accredited college, university, or medical training program
- Cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 for returning awardees only; no minimum GPA for first time applicants; [Note: a GPA criterion only applies to an applicant who has received a scholarship in the past from MSHF. Until the applicant wins an award, the no GPA standard will be used.
- Successful completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) available at www.fafsa.ed.gov
- Demonstrated interest in the healthcare field through an essay 250 words or less in the MSHF Scholarship Application
- Selection of a healthcare career choice that matches the healthcare workforce needs of providers in the Mat-Su Borough
- Attestation of tobacco and illicit drug free status and commitment to healthy living.
About Mat-Su Health Foundation: Mat-Su Health Foundation is the official business name of Valley Hospital Association, Inc., which shares ownership in Mat-Su Regional Medical Center. In this capacity, the MSHF board members and representatives actively participate in the governance of Mat-Su’s community hospital and protect the community’s interest in this important healthcare institution through board oversight. The MSHF invests its assets into charitable works that improve the health and wellness of Alaskans living in Mat-Su.